Thursday, October 11, 2012

Armstrong Grove part 2

Armstrong woods is one of my favorite places in Sonoma County. Although it is well known and touristy it is never crowded and it is always peaceful. I know there are a lot of places like it along the Nor Cal Coast but like my grandmother's house among the redwoods in Eureka it just seams like home.
I love being among the massive trees and feeling insignificant next to their grandeur. I love all of the ferns and walking on the pine needles scattered over the trails. I like seeing the rings of the few trees that were cut down and left in place and knowing that most of the forest has been around for hundreds of years. There is something about it that seems magical.
I have been on at least one field trip to Armstrong grove in elementary school. For field trips my mom would always pack us a special lunch, we would get something exciting like a sandwich from subway or a bag of chips but always a can of soda which we would normally never have. My older brothers and sisters devised a way to keep our sodas icy cold throughout the day. We would always wrap them in a few layers of tin foil, thereby insulating them from any unwanted heat. It never worked but for some reason we all did it, believing that our precious soda would be preserved from the noon heat. Anyway, I can still remember that in my lunch the day of that Armstrong Grove field trip was a grape soda wrapped in foil.

1 comment:

KickButtMommy said...

Loving going down memory lane with you.