Saturday, February 14, 2009

Ricotta Recipe


Ricotta Cheese recipe:

1 gallon full fat milk
8 oz fresh lime juice

-Heat the milk to 180 degrees, stirring often. Hold the milk at 180 for 5 minutes, while stirring
-Remove the milk from the heat and slowly stir in the lime juice, continue to stir as the curds form
-Gently pour the curds into a strainer lined with new, rinsed cheesecloth and let it drain for an hour untouched
-For a firmer cheese gather the edges of the cheesecloth and secure them with a rubber band and suspend over a tall container over night or for at least for hours.
-Unwrap the cheese and season with salt as desired and use as you would any commercial ricotta.

I found this recipe in my On Cooking book, one of my text books from school. I found it before I made all that lasagna and manicotti and I was so happy that I didn't need to spend a million dollars on ricotta cheese. This recipe is really forgiving and very easy. It makes about a pound and a half of ricotta to start with but if you let it sit overnight you will get less but you will have a nicer, firmer cheese.

No comments: