Saturday, May 31, 2008

Poor Little Doggy!

This morning I got up early with the kids and went for a drive. After stopping at Days Market for a treat, we went over to the playground at Edgemont elementary (one of the kid’s favorite playgrounds). Then we drove around to check out a few garage sales. Around 10:30, I called Camille and she was going to come meet me at my parents house and then we would go on a few errands. So I am driving up on Foothill Drive and out of nowhere, a little dog darted out in front of me and with no time to do anything, the dog was hit. I felt so horrible! I had no idea how bad it was or if the dog even survived. So I pulled over and got out to see how the dog was. Luckily, it wasn’t as bad as I feared, probably just a broken leg but the dog was obviously in a lot of pain and was just scrambling around kind of limping and crying. As I was walking towards the dog, a jogger beat me to the dog and was trying to pick it up. I thought it was the owner but it wasn’t. There was a man in a yard close by who also wasn’t the owner and didn’t recognize the dog. I didn’t really know what to do since the owner was not around and it was just me and this jogger lady and the dog needed medical attention. The lady was able to pick up the dog and by now it had calmed down. So, we decided to take it to the vet and then I would come back and look for the owner. As we drove down from the foothills, I called Camille again to tell her about the strange change of plans. She was on her way so we met up and she took over the job of holding the dog and we told the jogger lady that we would take care of it. We got to the vet down by Will’s Pit Stop and told them what had happened. I took a few pictures of the dog and told the people at the vet that we would go and try to find the owner. We drove back up to the scene of the accident. I sent the pictures of the dog to Camille’s phone so that we could split up and go house to house in search of the owner. Camille took Josh and I took Jane. On about the 5th house, there was a family who recognized the dog and said it belonged to a family that lived over by Rock Canyon Park. That is probably a mile or 2 from where we were. They looked up the phone number and called them to let them know what had happened. Sure enough, they did not know where their dog was. We got the exact address and went over there to show them the pictures just to confirm that we had the right owners. When we got there, the wife told us that the husband was already on his way to the vet. So, just to be sure, I called the vet and the owner had just arrived and it was definitely his dog. It for sure could have been a lot worse and I am just glad that we found the owners. Poor little doggy!


5 comments:

Randall Jones said...

How very kind and thoughtful, Scott! We were so impressed that you would go to all that trouble for a poor little doggy. I guess you have a love for little dogs because of Spotty, Zeke and Pepper. That was mighty nice!!
Love, Mom and Dad

Jacob S. Paulsen said...

I love dogs. Our little dog was stupid enough to run underneath a car a year 1/2 ago. A lot of damage was done and to this day I still don't think our neighbor has forgiven himself for something he couldn't have avoided. I hope Scott that you can go on with life and forget about the incident!

KickButtMommy said...

I love that you took care of the dog, Scott. I bet that most people would not go to that much effort. I know if that were my little Luigi I would want someone to take care of him for me too!

Jessica said...

You were such a responsible, caring dog hitter! What a happy ending.

Jen Howick said...

oh man, that sucks! but that was really nice of you to go through all that trouble! I love "jessica's" comment. too funny yet empathetic all at the same time.